Saturday, October 22, 2011

Reflecting

I really liked this chapter over all because it offered me a lot to reflect on, in regards to myself and how I treat others.
The section I liked the most was about defensive and supportive climates, because I felt I could relate my own personal experiences to the communication climates. I know one of my biggest flaws is that I am very defensive right off the bat, especially with criticism. But this section makes me realize some of the ways people are talking to me is the reason I am defensive towards them. Evaluation versus description is a time when I feel judged and it evokes defensiveness within me. When someone is asking me questions in a certain way, trying to get information out of me in order to judge me, pisses me off more than anything. When someone strikes up a conversation with me that is not genuine and they are just being nosey, I have no interest in talking to them and immediately put my wall up. Recently, I have gotten engaged, and being 22 years old, everyone has their questions and judgments. People who don't even know me ask me first how old I am, and than ask me if I am engaged. I really just want to say to them excuse me, but none of this is any of your business! I would like to say I don't care what they think but it does get to me sometimes because I hate when people aren't genuine. Some of the other parts of this section I related to and learned from, in order to change the perception I give off and possibly change the perception of others and not be so defensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment