Friday, October 21, 2011

Disagreeing with Others

The description the author provides for confirmation is "recognizing that another person exists," then next you acknowledge their feelings, and finally the strongest level of confirmation is endorsement, when you accept another's feelings or thoughts.
I definitely find it hard to confirm a person I may be arguing with. I have a quick temper and get ahead of myself fast while in an argument, especially if it is something I am very passionate about. I forgot that the other person I am arguing with is entitled to the opinion they are arguing, and just want to prove them wrong. My mom would say I love to argue, just to argue, even if I'm not knowledgable about the topic, and I definitely don't confirm the other person. I just keep talking until they are exhausted from arguing with me. I recognize this as a flaw, and after reading the chapter I definitely want to work on being more aware of the other persons feelings.

2 comments:

  1. Hi MaryLou,

    I really enjoyed reading your post. I can understand why it is hard to confirm a person when you may be arguing with them because we are all different and each of us has our own tolerance levels and patience. I also know if I am passionate about something, and if I am in an argument with someone about that topic, I will forget that, that person is entitled to their own opinion or I am usually the one who will keep talking and talking until the other person gives up and agrees with me. It's not something I do on purpose, it just happens to come and occur naturally. The way I look at it when I disagree with someone is that we are all human and will never agree with someone one hundred percent of the time or even fifty percent of the time, depending on the person and the situation. I believe that it is important to confirm someone even if we are in the heat of an argument because everyone has feelings and the last thing I would want to do is hurt them or lose their trust. Confirmation is not easy however it it is do-able and it is something I believe we all have or should work on,on a daily basis.

    Great post overall!

    -little miss daisy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    I agree with you on the wanting to win every argument part. I often feel that my opinion is the only one that is correct and that people who try to argue with my are wrong and that I have to prove them wrong. It almost turns into a game for me. This chapter was probably the best one so far since it really touched on something that a lot of people personally have a problem with. Confirming others is something most people have difficulty with.

    -WiseW0rds

    ReplyDelete