I can't think of a specific time when I have been in this type of interaction, but I can explain what kind of defensive-producing communication behaviors would make me feel disconfirmed and defensive.
One example would be that is someone were to come up to me and right off the bat question something I was doing or had on, in a negative tone. I would feel they are judging me and in turn would feel disconfirmed and become defensive. This immediate reaction would be based off the tone in which they question me, and exactly what they are questioning me on. Another defensive-producing communication behavior that would set me off is superiority. The book explains the interaction as the other person acting as if they are better than we are. I relate this to someone talking down to me, and acting as if I am ignorant in whatever subject they are relaying to me. I can't stand when someone doesn't speak to me as their equal, even a boss. I understand that my boss is superior to me in regards to position, but not as a person. If you want my respect you have to respect me as well. Reading this chapter confirmed how I felt about how others speak to me, but also made me aware of how I speak to others, and I may be doing some of the same things that I don't appreciate in communication.
No comments:
Post a Comment