I can definitely relate to some of the fallacies listed.
I notice that I always seem to jump to the worst possible scenario in my head when any kind of risky situation arises. I don't know why I do this to myself, because it causes extreme anxiety and makes me over react a lot of the time. I do try and talk myself down from the worst possible scenarios, sometimes it helps but sometimes I am already too far into thinking the scenario is true that I wont believe otherwise. When I talk myself out of it, I tell myself that the situation in my head is very unlikely, although it is possible, there are also positive outcomes too. I also take responsibility for others emotions, only the people I really care about. If my mom or dad is feeling sad, I feel sad because they are, and I take on that emotion even if whatever the situation is doesn't effect me. I try to turn it around and be strong for them instead because I know that would help more. Lastly, I have definitely felt the helplessness fallacy. I remember when my ex boyfriend from two years ago broke up with me, and I felt for a couple months that I would never feel better and that nothing could change the way I felt. Obviously, I moved on, but when you are in that state of sadness, you kind of get sucked into a hole and it is really hard to see yourself feeling better. Of course friends and family would tell me that in time everything would be okay, but you have to believe it yourself to actually move away from that fallacy. Knowing my fallacies I am definitely going to try harder to reverse them and not think of them at all.
Everyone falls under some category in the fallacy category, no one is immune from it. I understand what you mean when you say you jump to the worst scenario when something happens. Sometimes we just jump to conclusions too fast, but honestly, I feel that it's a good thing sometimes because I'd rather want to know what would or could happen so I know what I'm getting myself into. I've learned to just do things and not let it hold me back. We can't grow as a person without taking chances and doing things. Also, I think we're really similar because I also take blame for others because I'd rather not get into a fight with someone or want it to end. It's not the best thing to do but sometimes it's okay. We just need to learn to not do it as often and talk it out so that the people involved knows what's exactly going on. It will make us as better communicators. Your last fallacy about helplessness really stood out to me also because when things don't go my way, I feel the exact same. There are days where we all just feel like nothing, we're just a waste but truly, it's just a minor setback which we will eventually get over. I've had that happen to me with a girl I liked but she didn't like me back but hey,you just have to put yourself out there and do things you enjoy, and hang out with a good group of people who are always there for you. It'll help a lot. With the fallacies I noticed that it's all setbacks that if I get over, it'll make me into a better person and communicator.
ReplyDeleteI feel like no matter what, we all experience one of the fallacies more than another. In a way, it's not "good" to take responsibility for another person's emotion but good in a sense in which you know you do care about that person and the people around you. You are just a caring person. It would be hard to take responsibility for another person's emotion if you did not know them very well or did not care about a person. And just in the moment, of course you feel like you'll never move in, I guess it is just part of the process cause we all feel like that. It's so hard to think things won't get better but it's also unrealistic! We just can not help it! Especially cause we're girls. I think it's just interesting how we put ourselves in a whole and think we're never going to get better because never is such a long time! We girls can be so dramatic at times(:
ReplyDelete