Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Race and Identity

One of the most interesting parts of this section I found on race was the very end where the author discusses the new scholarship area of critical whiteness studies.
Without having this brought to my attention I didn't even realize that everyone outside of the "white" race, is classified by the color of their skin, for example from the book, "black congressman, indian student." You never hear anyone calling the teacher, the white teacher, or the mayor, the white mayor. I find this really odd, and then I realize that all race is is the color of your skin, or at least that is how it is being used when describing people. Describing someone by race doesn't describe anything else about them besides their skin color. Now that interracial relationships and marriages are happening, race is becoming much more mixed and harder to classify. I guess that brings me to the topic of the Census. My Fiance is mexican and I am Caucasian, so when we have children, they will be half and half. So for the Census, what would they mark? Mexican American and Caucasian? That is just a little ridiculous to me because in all honesty I never understood the reason and meaning behind doing the Census. People should not be classified by the color of their skin because it does not define who they are.

3 comments:

  1. Hey MaryLou,
    I really enjoyed reading your post. I definitely agree with your final statement- people should not be classified by the color of their skin because it doesn’t completely define who they are! Sure, race should not be completely forgotten, it is still a part of an individual’s identity. However, it isn’t their whole identity. You made a very interesting point, too. When reading your post, I definitely stopped to think if I’d ever described someone as “the white ___”. Off the top of my head, I can’t think of any time I’ve done that. But I can think of times when I’ve described other people based on their race. I don’t think this is right, but at the same time, it’s hard to consciously make the effort to stop, since it just comes so naturally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear MaryLou,

    I think the way we classify people other than "white" is unfortunate, but in the U.S., the U.S. where there are many different ethnicities that it is sometimes the only way to distinguish one from another. I do not think it is right to point out anyone by their race or ethnicity, but it is becoming a reality in classifying people. I think people should be allowed to mark more than one box with the Census Bureau too because as the generations continue, there will be even more bi-racial and multi-ethnic families.

    Great post. Thanks for sharing!

    -rompersb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi MaryLou,
    I enjoyed reading your post and you bring up some great issues. Everyone has color even if by chance they are 100% "white" (which I doubt because everyone is mixed with many different races). Last time I checked the crayon box "white" is a color. So we are all people of color, we just have different shades of color.
    I do not think mixed races should have to choose one race over the other when it comes to identifying themselves on government papers. I must admit there are times that I put Caucasian as my race then I will put Native Indian or I have even put European White. Why should we have to chose just leave it open and let people list what every nationality they most identify with.
    Thanks for sharing your view points.
    Katrina

    ReplyDelete