Saturday, September 10, 2011

Your 20's


So for this discussion I first talked to my dad about how he, and his friends were expected to act when they were in their 20’s.
After telling me about how he used to live across the street from orchards and now there is a hospital, he got into the differences of expectations between then and now. My dad went into the Navy right out of high school, he was 17. He said that he didn’t know what he wanted to do after high school, and he wasn’t expected to figure it out. He also said that since his parents were divorced, didn’t have a lot of money, and neither of his parents had gone to college, there was no pressure to make that decision. My dad also explained that his friends didn’t discuss what college they were going to go to, especially because the draft was going on at the time, he felt like college wasn’t a first choice.

Next I talked to my half brother, who was 19 when I was born so I figured it was close enough. His story was a little different. He explained to me that in his twenties people were going to college, planning their careers, and getting married. He said most people were going to college in the area they were from, and not too many of his friends ventured out to other states. I believe taking these two experiences of being in your 20’s at different times and comparing them to myself, there are some similarities and of course differences. I think that people in their twenties now, at least people I know, are on the college path. I believe that it is expected of our generation to complete all levels of school and then jump into a career right after. If we aren’t doing this, then people show disappointment. Society also expects us to know exactly what we want to do or what field we want to go in before we even graduate. People keep asking me what job I will go in to, and I still am unsure. Over time our society has increased the pressure of college and a career before you’re 24 years old. 

No comments:

Post a Comment