Friday, September 2, 2011

I-It or I-You

I have definitely experienced both I-It and I-You, being a server in a restaurant I know how it feels to have someone treat you like an it. As for a relationship of mine that has become closer overtime, I would have to think of Jessica that I work with. At first, we didn't talk a whole lot, I had been working at the restaurant for 4 years when she was hired and I usually don't buddy up with the new people right away. I definitely didn't treat her like an it, but we didn't get into any deep conversations about personal things. About 6 months into her working there we got into a conversation about soccer. Both of us play and have a long time experience with playing, and she was explaining to me that she was getting into coaching. Coaching is something I have always wanted to do since I stopped playing competitively, so I was interested. Some time went by where we both forgot about it, until about 5 months ago when she approached me again about working an 8 week soccer camp with her. I didn't have anything going on during the time the camp was taking place so I figured why not. We started working together and over the next 8 weeks our friendship changed drastically, I started talking to her outside of work, mostly just about coaching at first. After the camp was over we started running together on a regular basis, and eventually decided we wanted to do a half marathon together in October. Running together really changed our communication. When you're going on hour - hour and a half runs things just start coming out. We began by talking about things we had in common, like people at work or just basic things that were going on in our lives, and now, it has turned into an actual real friendship where I consider her one of my close close friends and we confide in each other instead of just making small talk. The other week, she said to me "can you keep a secret?" and that's when I knew that our work relationship had actually turned into a trusting friendship.

1 comment:

  1. Nice Post,
    It just occurred to me how every waitress and waiter in the world would have to come to terms with the fact that they will be treated like an “It” for the duration of their employment. I promise to tip more. Aside from that however, it seems as though that initial relationships change once more is known about another. Ive read a few other blogs on this subject and as soon as it becomes clear that two workers have similar interests it begins to be explored. After this point much more is reveled about both parties and the relation changes from an “It” to a “You.” The process is fun though.

    ReplyDelete