I feel that I-Thou communication is saved for romantic relationships, in where we finally let down all guards and stop worrying about our image.
We show the other person our true genuine self by communicating honestly and openly with them, and that is how we can have these kind of relationships. Buber explains that this is when we become human, because we stop looking at the other person as their social role and accept them for being unique. I feel that this relates to romantic relationships solely because Buber says this kind of communication is rare and special, just like a very serious and important relationship.
I know I have experienced I-Thou communication and I know how rare it is, and it definitely doesn't apply to every romantic relationship you have. I feel that you have to really mature and be comfortable with the person and yourself in order to reach this level of communication.
Dear MaryLou,
ReplyDeleteI agree with how rare it is to find and create "I-Thou" relationships because everyone puts on a mask to feel "normal" through the "I-You" communication. Even I do this whenever I am with my big group of friends because I want to feel cool and not be judged for who I really am.
Although I agree with the rarity of an "I-Thou" communicative relationship, I disagree with your statement that "I-Thou" communication is only saved for romantic relationships. I only have three friends that I can talk to in "I-Thou" communication, and they are all guys! It is extremely hard to find people for "I-Thou" communication who are not in relationships because not a lot of people are comfortable with opening up to others anymore.
Thanks for sharing with us! I did not mean to put you on blast though :( I just wanted to point out that you should not give up on searching for those "I-Thou" relationships through friends! :)
-Jeff!