I did find this article interesting, and I could relate to some of the bad listening skills that were brought up.
I also could relate to the part about being in class and exhausting yourself by trying to listen, take notes, and remember what the teacher is saying. I personally have a hard time in general paying attention throughout an entire class, only because I distract myself and let my mind wander too easily. It is hard to stay alert and attentive when the subject you are listening to is not of interest to you, and you're only there because you have to be there. I will try and engage my thought process more while I am listening in class, and think ahead of what the person is talking about. The other bad listening skill that was mentioned that I could relate to was listening to a slower speaker, and how much harder that is. I become very impatient with someone if they are talking too slow or not telling a story fast enough because my brain is already twenty steps past what they are getting at. I have a hard time staying focused on what someone is saying when they are taking too long to get to the point of their story. I am going to try the four techniques the article listed when listening to others, because I know how rude and frustrating it can be when you feel like you're not being listened to. I definitely use the last one already, paying attention to someones body language as they are speaking. When someone is talking to me about something that is bothering them I watch them to gauge their emotions to try and help.
Great Post!
ReplyDeleteI also found this article really interesting. I found that I had things to work on as a listener. It is hard being in class (esp a lecture class) and fully paying attention to a speaker. Some subjects are very boring to me and I go in knowing that if it is just a lecture I will not retain anything because I am already judging the class as uninteresting. If their voice is monotone, that is even worst. I too cannot really tolerate slow speakers and I quickly zone out because they are just to slow. After reading this article I will be trying hard to become an effective listener!