Friday, September 16, 2011

American Society

After reading the discussion question I can honestly say that I never knew that the metaphor "melting pot," referred  to the melting together of all cultures and blending as one. I always thought melting pot meant that there are a bunch of different people living in one area and we all contribute to society which would be the soup. All the different cultures and types of people come together to make a final product, but now thinking about that metaphor I can understand why it would be the melting down and blending into one unified character. I like the metaphors that Jesse Jackson uses, I think it is important that we recognize we are all different and just because we live in the same area doesn't mean we need to be the same. I think people who were born and raised here feel a little territorial, when it comes to embracing other cultures. We all just have to remember that there was always someone here before us and they were different from us as well, so we just have to accept it. I would use the metaphor "garden salad" because instead of blending all the differences together, we show off all the differences and they each share a role, just like a garden salad.

1 comment:

  1. Hi MaryLou,

    I really enjoyed reading your post. I also never really knew that the metaphor melting pot referred to the melting together of cultures becoming one. this week's reading, I realized what that metaphor really means and stands for. I also agree that I liked Reverend Jesse Jackson's metaphor(s) that we're all like a rainbow in our society,meaning we are all different and unique, however when we are all put together, we create something beautiful like a rainbow. I really enjoyed when you mentioned the metaphor "garden salad" because I never thought of that metaphor that can be used in describing our society. That is another great metaphor that can be used to describe our society. We are all different yet similar and we all have different opinions and come from different backgrounds however part of being an American is being free and able to share with others who we are and where we come from and diversity is evolving in our society.

    Great post overall!

    -little miss daisy

    ReplyDelete