Wednesday, September 28, 2011

6 signs of non-listening

As I read the very first nonlistening pattern, I actually read it out loud to my Fiance because he does Pseudolistening to me all the time, and as I am reading it, I realize he is doing it while I'm reading about it to him!! I am very familiar with Pseudolistening, I have been aware that some of my friends have done it to me, either texting while I was talking to them or just completely disengaged in the conversation. And as I said, my Fiance does this to me all the time when he is on the computer, although he doesn't even pretend like he is listening, he just completely ignores me! haha! Even though it is incredibly irritating when others do it to me, I know I definitely am guilty of Pseudolistening, but only at work. I work at a restaurant and a winery, and sometimes it's just one of those days where I don't feel like engaging in deep conversations with people. When they start telling me a story, I nod my head and say uh-huh and little words here and there to appear that I'm listening, when I am not at all. So bad to the point probably that I wouldn't even be able to recite back to them what they're story was even about. I feel like sometimes this is necessary to do because I am busy with other customers and I have to leave the table, I wouldn't ever do it to a friend or someone I cared about because I want them to know I am listening fully. The other nonlistening pattern I am familiar with is Monopolizing. I don't do this, at least consciously, but I have some friends who do it all the time. You start venting to them about something that happened with your day, and eventually you find yourself sitting silently an hour into their conversation about some tangent they went off of from your story. I know the friends who do this so I usually just avoid telling them a whole lot because I know we'll end up talking about them anyways. Plain and simple, nonlistening is just rude all around, even when you're working.

1 comment:

  1. I have to agree with you about monopolizing listeners and limiting information from them. Sometimes it really sucks cause you just want to tell them everything and vent to them because they are your very close friends but you can't because it only frustrates you more that they aren't listening to you! I find myself having to find the right time to tell my monopolizing friend important information because I don't want to tell her something that is important to me only to have her start talking about herself again. Sometimes I find monopolizing listeners also doing puesdolistening. They aren't listening to you at all and just reroute the conversations piece to themselves. It sucks.

    ReplyDelete