I definitely agree with the book with the fact that the Linear Model is incredibly flawed. Communication does not go in one direction without coming back to the sender, the only example I can think of where I have seen this type of communication was if a child was getting lectured or yelled at by their parent. In that case, the child is sitting there passively listening to the parent speak. The Linear Model also explains that listening in just the second step to speaking, when in fact as the book says, most of the time these two steps overlap or work simultaneously together.
On the other hand, the Interactive Model explains that listeners give feedback in response to the speaker. This model also includes that the listener uses their own personal experiences and opinions to interpret the message and shape their feedback accordingly. The best way to compare the two models would be to say that the Linear Model is a one way street and the Interactive Model is a two way street. Information flows out in one direction for the Linear, and information is exchanged back and forth in the Interactive. I can definitely relate to the Interactive Model when personal experience does not overlap enough and misunderstandings occur. This is why people argue, because they both have either had two different experiences on a certain topic, or one has no experience at all. As the book says, although the Interactive model is an improvement to the Linear model, they both are still flawed. Communication is an involvement of both parties, one person is not defined at the sender and one as the receiver, it is a constant exchange from both people or multiple people.
Hey MaryLou,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your post. I also agree with you that communication does not just go in one direction without coming back to the person who sent the message. I also really liked how you simply stated that "the best way to compare the two models would be to say that the Linear Model is a one way street and the Interactive Model is a two way street." I couldn't agree more. I also agree with you that communication is involved with both partie and that not one person is the sender and the other is the receiver. They both can be either or both.
Great post!
-little miss daisy
Hey there,
ReplyDeleteI apologize I meant to say (parties) in the previous comment. I also forgot to mention as well that I looked at the Interactive Model as it is stated as interactive, people interacting, there is somewhat of interaction involved, and the Linear Model as one way. Like you also mentioned and the text did as well, both models are still flawed in someway or the other. It is just good to be aware of how each of them relate to communication.
-little miss daisy