I met my best friend Ariana on our first day of second grade in Elementary school.
We had girl scouts together, and all the same classes through the rest of Elementary. We would have sleepovers every weekend either at her house or mine, and walk to school together every day. We continued on to Middle school and High school still maintaining our friendship, and to this day she is still my best friend, and actually my maid of honor for my wedding in September. Since we have shared so many childhood experiences, and teen years together, there are a lot of emotional investments made throughout the years. She has been there for me through thick and thin, and I for her. Through all the drama in high school she always had my back and I had hers, and we would never talk bad about each other to others like a lot of "friends" did in high school. Although we both have our own lives now, we both still make the effort to communicate and be in each others lives. She still calls me and vents to me or asks for advice, and I do as well. There is a kind of indescribable bond that we have, that nothing can get in the way of, and we don't fight over petty things. I feel that we have had a stabilized friendship for so long that she is more of a sister than just a friend.
Dear Marylou,
ReplyDeleteFriends like the ones all the way from second grade until now are the ones who really want to be great friends with you. When you know each other that long and go through all those years together, then the experience makes a strong friendship that nobody else can really replace since it has so much invested in it that it is rich in a way that only you and her can understand. I am also glad that you are still keeping in touch with her even though you are both growing up since growing up makes more responsibility and more time to manage. I just want to say that always remember to manage your priorities to which is more important to do in the present moment. For example, Work is important when you want a raise or just got a new job, while friends are important when you have not seen them in a while and feel the urge to reconnect again.
Thanks for sharing! Keep those friends in touch!
-Jeff!
Hi MaryLou,
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your personal story! You and your best friend definitely have had a lot of emotional investment in your friendship. I think that our shared experiences help us develop a bond of trust, acceptance, and closeness. Friends are an integral part of anyone’s support system, and the more they have been through with you, thick and thin, the more they seem to know what to say to you. It’s good to hear that you and your friend keep in touch quite often. Reflecting back, I have definitely had my share of friends who I’m not as close to anymore because we stopped making time for one another. School, work, and life in general can make it hard to balance all the people and going-ons in life.